Alexis D. Martin joined Caffarelli & Associates, Ltd. in 2014. Throughout her career, Ms. Martin has focused on promoting employee rights. Ms. Martin concentrates her practice in employment litigation under both state and federal law, including wage and hour claims for classes and individuals, family and medical leave, unlawful retaliation, discrimination and harassment, and whistleblower claims. Ms. Martin represents clients in a variety of courts, administrative agencies, and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Prior to joining Caffarelli & Associates, Ms. Martin practiced immigration law and a variety of civil litigation, including employment, breach of contract, and personal and property torts. She has been recognized by her colleagues and clients for her skill and dedication and is rated 10/10 “superb” by Avvo.com. Ms. Martin has extensive experience with employment and family-based immigration matters and continues to volunteer at local legal clinics, lending her services to Chicago’s immigrant communities.
Ms. Martin earned her Juris Doctorate and a certificate from the Institute for Law and the Workplace from Chicago-Kent College of Law. At Chicago-Kent, Ms. Martin focused her studies on employment law and trial advocacy. In addition, she earned the CALI Award for Excellence in Family and Employment Immigration Practice, Legal Writing IV: Labor and Employment, Trial Advocacy I, and Trial Advocacy II.
Ms. Martin earned a B.A. in English and Spanish from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. At the University of Wisconsin, Ms. Martin first found her passion for the law by dedicating her time to workers’ rights and immigration issues, which she is proud to be able to carry on to her practice today.
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law
- B.A., University of Wisconsin – Madison
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
Membership & Associations
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Military Spouse J.D. Network
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “The Liability Loophole for Secondary Employers Under the FMLA,” National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), The Illinois Employee Advocate, August 2016
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association; Criminal and Traffic Law Nutshell Continuing Legal Education Seminar ‘Topics from A to Z’; speaker: “Intersection of Criminal and Immigration Law,” April 2013
- “Deferred Action: Bridging the Gap to Comprehensive Immigration Reform;” Northwest Suburban Bar Association Newsbriefs, April 2013
- “Deferred Action: Bridging the Gap to Comprehensive Immigration Reform;” The Docket – A publication of the Lake County Bar Association, August 2013
- “Affirming Affirmative Consent;” Chicago-Kent Commentator, December 2011