Lorrie T. Peeters concentrates her practice in the areas of employment litigation and negotiation, working with both state and federal law. Ms. Peeters focuses in the areas of wage and hour law, family and medical leave, pregnancy leave, unlawful retaliation, discrimination and harassment, and whistleblower law. She successfully negotiates employment contracts and separation agreements daily, and has experience with all stages of litigation proceedings, appeals, and alternative dispute resolution. She has been certified as class counsel and has participated in every phase of large-scale local and national class action litigation, from inception to final judgment. In addition, Ms. Peeters has experience in compliance and counseling management-side clients.
Ms. Peeters has been invited to speak on panels at several local and national conferences, before members of both sides of the bar. In 2014, she served on the Board of Directors for the Impact Fund, a Berkeley-based foundation dedicated to advancing the use of nationwide impact litigation as a tool for social justice. In 2015, Ms. Peeters authored the chapter “Bringing Action to Enforce Leave Law Rights” in the award-winning publication “Employee Leave Laws,” published by California’s Continuing Education of the Bar. This publication won the Association of Continuing Legal Education’s 2015 award for professional excellence in the publications category, against hundreds of publications by CLE providers throughout the United States and Canada. Ms. Peeters authors the supplement to this publication each year.
In 2013, Super Lawyers named Ms. Peeters a “Rising Star” in Illinois, and in 2014 she was named a Rising Star in Northern California. Super Lawyers is an organization that reviews and selects attorneys from more than 70 practice areas, through a multiphase process involving peer recognition and professional achievement. Intended to aid attorneys and consumers in identifying superior counsel, Super Lawyers is well known for presenting a credible, comprehensive, and diverse body of selected professionals. Each year, only 5 percent of all state attorneys are named to Super Lawyers. The magazine is published in all 50 states and reaches more than 13 million readers. In 2020, Lawdragon legal publication included Ms. Peeters in its guide to the nation’s 500 leading plaintiff’s employment lawyers. Selected from a combination of editorial research by Lawdragon staff and peer and industry submissions, the Lawdragon 500 list is a mark of distinction in the legal profession.
Ms. Peeters earned a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Political Science from Northwestern University, and received her J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. In law school, Ms. Peeters served as the Articles Editor for the prestigious Children’s Legal Rights Journal, and worked as a T.A. in Loyola’s rigorous legal writing program. Ms. Peeters is admitted to practice law before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, the California Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the Illinois Supreme Court.
After living in the Chicago area through 2010 and San Francisco through 2012, Ms. Peeters currently resides in Silicon Valley with her husband, two young children, dog, and cat. When she is not at work, she enjoys exploring California, cooking, hiking, and spending time with her loved ones.
- B.A., Northwestern University
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois Supreme Court
Awards & Accolades
- Award for Professional Excellence, Association of Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA) (awarded to Employee Leave Laws), 2015
- Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013
- Included in Chicago Magazine list: Top Women Attorneys in Illinois, 2013
- Named one of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyers (nationwide), 2020
Membership & Associations
- California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF)
- BASF – Barrister’s Club
- National Employment Lawyers Association – Illinois (NELA-IL)
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Contributing Author for the Publication “California Employee Leave Laws: Compliance and Litigation Practice Manual (CEB) – Chapter 5, Bringing Action to Enforce Leave Law Rights,” 2015
- State Bar of California – Public Sector Law Conference, panel: “Social Media: Getting in Trouble is Easier than you Think,” 2013
- Santa Clara County Bar Association (SCCBA), panel: “Social Media: Getting in Trouble is Easier than You Think,” 2012
- State Bar of California – Labor & Employment Annual Conference, panel: “Social Media: Getting in Trouble is Easier than You Think,” 2012
- National Employment Lawyers Association – Annual Conference, panel: “Social Media and Discovery,” 2012
- Illinois Paralegal Association – Fall Seminar: “The Legal Implications of Social Networking in the Employment Context,” 2010
- Northern Illinois Society for Human Resources Management, panel: “Basics of Employment Law,” 2009